If anyone wants a new album or new band reviewed please let me know and I will review it!

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Anthrax - "Worship Music" Review


Let me first warn you that "Worship Music" is technically the first full Anthrax album that I have ever listened to. Sure, when I was younger I had heard of Anthrax. I knew of Scott Ian and Joey Belladonna. I had first seen them featured on the 90's cult cartoon "Beavis and Butthead" through Beavis wearing a t-shirt that said Anthrax on it and of course Beavis was a huge fan of Anthrax as he always mentioned them. But it wasn't until   the "Last Action Hero" soundrack in which I heard my first Anthrax song, "Poison My Eyes." I hated the song. I couldn't get past the intro to actually listen to the whole song. I really didn't care for Anthrax after that experience. I never bothered to listen to Anthrax since. It wasn't until years later when Ozzfest came out with the dvd "Ozzfest: 10th Anniversary" in which Anthrax performs a song called "Caught in a Mosh" that I actually heard a good Anthrax song and I really liked it. However, I still had no desire to actually listen to anything else by Anthrax or check out an album or anything. In January of 2011 I went to the Jagermeister Tour in which Scott Ian's other band "The Damned Things" performed. Scott was killer that night! Still, no desire to check out Anthrax. It wasn't until a few weeks ago when I started checking out Eddie Trunk's "That Metal Show" on VH1 Classic that I started getting a piqued interest in Anthrax. Eddie and his co-hosts would continuously mention Anthrax and how good they were in many episodes, mostly on their TMS Top 5 Lists. They also had Scott Ian and Charlie Benante on an episode of "That Metal Show" in which both Scott and Charlie talk about Joey Belladonna returning to the band for the "Big 4" shows and they had a new album coming out with Joey on vocals. The album was already out when I saw the episode. This really got me wanting to check out the new album and see what the hype about Anthrax is all about! So boys and girls... here is the review for "Worship Music."

"Worship Music" in one word is "EPIC"! Being my first Anthrax album, "Worship Music" has solidly piqued my interest in Anthrax. Currently downloading "Among The Living" to check out as well. Reason I am checking this one out being that I know very little about Anthrax is that this was the album that Eddie Trunk had featured in his "Throwdown" on "That Metal Show" alongside "Spreading the Disease" to ask the question "which Anthrax album was better?" It's no surprise that "Among The Living" was voted best Anthrax album over "Spreading The Disease." Anyways, "Worship Music" really is a killer album. The production is just picture perfect. Honestly, I love Joey's vocals on the album. They just fit very well. I cannot compare it to other Anthrax singers as I haven't heard the other vocalists. "Earth on Hell" Starts off the album on a very high note with a killer riff. WHile all the songs on the album are fan-damn-tastic!, other high points to this album include "I'm Alive" which reminds me very much of the Orleans song "Still The One". It's a very high produced song and is just a massive killer song. Kind of surprised Anthrax wrote the song but it works extremely well. Another high point is "In The End", which sounds like a war song as you march into hell to fight an epic battle! It's another high produced well put together song. Sounds like a massive metal song from the 80's/early 90's.     "The Giant" has a killer opening riff and is a very monstrous song to mosh to! In fact the whole album is one big mosh pit. Any of the songs on "Worship Music" would be killer to hear live. You could probably do a whole set of nothing but this album and fans would just go nuts the entire time! To end the album Anthrax puts on a hidden song called "New Noise" at the end of the last track "Revolution Screams". This could easily be a song by itself on the album but Anthrax makes this song a hidden gem. Anthrax dishes out what I think   is possibly their best work on "Worship Music". I say possibly cause as you know I'm unfamiliar with their previous works. After hearing this album, I can say it ranks right up their as one of the best metal albums of 2011 maybe even in the last few years. Just sad that it hasn't gotten more promotion cause had it not been for Eddie Trunk and his show "That Metal Show", I would of never known that this was out! Definitely think Anthrax should go on tour with Machine Head. Two really killer albums by two killer bands would make for a really killer concert! If you havent seen my review for Machine Head's "Locusts" go check it out! Killer album! You'll see what I mean.

Favorite Tracks: "Earth On Hell", "I'm Alive", "In The End", & "The Giant"



No comments:

Post a Comment